Header Ads

Seo Services

The Best Computer Lab I've Ever Seen

How I Set up My Computer Lab

How I set up my computer lab Brittany Washburn

My first year teaching technology to grades K-5 I didn't even put up vocabulary words! I know, I can't believe it either. I've grown so much as a teacher and I'm constantly inspired by the styles and layouts of grade level classrooms, so I made myself adorable, stylish, and functional classroom decor. 


First, this is what a computer station looks like in my classroom: 


Ideal Computer Station

I have a velcro name tag on top of the monitor. Students use a dry erase marker to write their name. I have them do this while their computer is logging in. I have a laminated "hand" that they put up if they have a question. My thought process here is that they can still work on their computer with both hands while they wait for me to come to them. 


Next, I made I Can Statements for the technology standards 

because my principal loves seeing them and my students benefit from knowing the goal for the day/lesson. I made a set that I put on a ring at each computer station, and full-page posters for the front of the classroom. I give directions on the carpet by my interactive whiteboard before I send students to the computers, so I need my essential questions, I Can statements, and vocabulary words up there. 


As you can expect, I have another board for grades 3-5 in another section of the classroom. I LOVE the clip art on these, from Whimsy Clips that I custom ordered. It makes these posters so much more inviting than a black and white version. 

This school year I had the honor of integrating a subject area into my technology lessons - Science. 

This is what my classroom looked like at the beginning of the school year (before the mess!):


I love having such a big space to work with. I am really fortunate to have a large classroom. Every week I had 2 lessons going on. Half of the group would go to the computers and complete their lesson there, and the other half would work at the science tables in their notebooks or doing an experiment. The next week the groups would complete the opposite assignment. 

Those cabinets in the back are the perfect place to hang word wall cards right?! That was my thought too, so I did. To read about how I teach technology vocabulary, check back soon because that will be my next post. Make sure to subscribe by email or on bloglovin so you don't miss it!

Interested in BONUS content? Check out my free email course for technology teachers, where I walk you through everything I do to map out, plan, and assess my students. And because I want to help as much as possible, just for signing up you will receive a free printable template of my daily lesson and reflection planner (and of course some free tips). 

No comments